Texas A&M at SXSW
Our authors and our University are heavily involved in SXSW 2019. Below is a lineup of events.
TAMU Press Authors
Ben Masters, author of The River and the Wall (TAMU Press)
Film premiere at SXSW
6:45 pm Saturday March 9, 2019
Rollins Theatre at the Long Center
701 W Riverside Dr.
Author and film director Ben Masters premieres his film, The River and the Wall, for which TAMU Press published the companion book. Subsequent screenings will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday March 12 at the Alamo Ritz and Alamo Ritz 2, and 11:15 a.m. Friday March 15 at the Paramount Theatre. SXSW admission rules apply. http://theriverandthewall.com/
Joe Nick Patoski, author of Austin to ATX: The Hippies, Pickers, Slackers, and Geeks Who Transformed the Capital of Texas (TAMU Press)
SXSW panel moderation
12:30 pm Sunday March 10, 2019
Hilton Austin Downtown, Salon K
500 E 4th St.
Author Joe Nick Patoski will moderate the panel, Who and What Makes Austin Austin?, including Heather Brunner, CEO of WP Engine; Aaron Franklin of Franklin BBQ; and film editor Sandra Adair. Each panelist will represent and address the influence of their area of focus. Tensions and clashes, shared visions, and which element has brought about the greatest change–and made Austin Austin–will be argued and addressed. This panel is a part of the SXSW 2019 Conference, Entrepreneurship & Startups track. For more information, visit www.sxsw.com.
Panel Talks At Texas A&M Power House
Texas A&M Power House will feature four panel discussions that bring together Texas A&M innovators and industry leaders on the same stage:
Reimagining Public & Private Partnerships – Monday, March 11, 11 a.m.
- John M. Murray, Army Futures Command
- Chancellor John Sharp, Texas A&M University System
- Emily Ramshaw, Texas Tribune (moderator)
World-Building Creativity & Technology – Monday, March 11 at 3:30 p.m.
- Laura Murphy, Technical Director at Pixar Animation Studios
- Gracie Arenas Strittmatter, Technical Art Director at EA’s BioWare
- Kyle Clark, CEO of Flight School
- Tim McLaughlin, Texas A&M Department of Visualization (moderator)
Brand Masters On Building The Brand – Tuesday, March 12 at 11 a.m.
- Nicole Portwood, PepsiCo Vice President of Marketing – Mountain Dew, Energy & Flavors
Plugging Into Rural Healthcare Solutions – Tuesday, March 12 at 3:30 p.m.
- Dan McCoy, President of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas
- Vivian Lee, President of Health Platforms at Verily (formerly Google X)
- Greg Winfree, Director of the Texas A&M Transportation Institute
- Dean Carrie L. Byington, MD, Dean of the Texas A&M College of Medicine, Senior Vice President of the Texas A&M University Health Science Center and Vice Chancellor for Health Services at The Texas A&M University System. (moderator)
Experience Texas A&M Power House
In between panel discussions, Texas A&M [Power] House will also include interactive installations that highlight Texas A&M research, gaming competitions with FaZe Clan, live entertainment from Shakey Graves and CRAY and exclusive apparel giveaways.
- Texas A&M [Power] House Launch Powered by MTN DEW AMP GAME FUEL – Sunday, March 10 from 7 p.m.-12 a.m.
- Texas A&M X Champion Showcase – Monday, March 11 from 4 p.m.-10 p.m.
Texas A&M [Power] House panel programming requires a SXSW badge. Additional information about activations, gaming competitions and live entertainment is available in the schedule section of sxsw.tamu.edu.
Other Texas A&M-related appearances
In addition to Texas A&M University’s official presence at Texas A&M [Power] House for SXSW, a handful of Aggie leaders, researchers and current and former students will appear on various panels and activations during the interactive festival.
Texas A&M-affiliated individuals at SXSW include:
- Jacob Hamilton, film director
- Former engineering student
- Multiple film screenings
Defending the Nation: Immigrants in the Military
- Panshu Zhao
- Current PhD Student
- March 8 | 2:00 – 3:00 pm
Angel Investor Meetup
- Samantha Lewis, GOOSE Society of Texas
- Former political science and history student
- March 11 | 5:00 – 6:00 pm
Student Startup Madness
- Texas A&M students, Vize
- Vize is a platform that allows workers in developing countries to write reviews, ratings, and salaries about the factories they work for in order to provide transparency and hold factories accountable for the working conditions they provide.
- March 11 | 3:30 – 6 p.m.
Building Trust, Transparency and Standards
- Chad Engelgau, CMO & Head of Strategy, Acxiom
- Former history student
- March 13 | 3:30 – 4:30 pm