The Fort that Became a City
An Illustrated Reconstruction of Fort Worth, 1849–1853
Texana
32 illus., Notes.
Pub Date: 12/01/1995
Chisholm Trail Series
  paper
Price:        $25.00

978-0-87565-146-0
Awaiting Stock - Expected Availability 3/30/2016

Published by Texas Christian University Press

To Receive E-News
 
 



 

The Fort that Became a City

An Illustrated Reconstruction of Fort Worth, 1849–1853

By William Potter and Richard Selcer
Illustrations by W. Potter

Before cattle drives, Alliance Airport, oil production and defense industries, Fort Worth was home to the United States Army’s Second Dragoons. They came in 1849 (and left less than four years later) and occupied the last outpost between the Brazos River and the Red River. They were followed to the banks of the Trinity by other elements of the army, forming the first U.S. military presence in North Texas. They were there to protect lands to the north and to the west, Indian lands coveted by the white men but controlled by the Comanche and Kiowa.

William B. Potter provided the inspiration for this volume. His intricate recreations of the post were originally intended as blueprints for a life-size replica of the post—an inspiration yet to be realized. Mr. Potter has made a career in architectural delineation, industrial design, and heraldic art.



Historian Richard Selcer gives a comprehensive account of the early days before the post was a metropolis. His in-depth analysis of life by the Trinity in the days following the Mexican War is filled with historical detail as well as a touch of humor. Richard Selcer is the author of Hells Half Acre.

OF RELATED INTEREST

Birds of Tanglewood
All the Way from Yoakum
Rock beneath the Sand
Texas Courthouse Poster
Review Copy Request Form Desk Copy Request Form